Fox News (March 6) — The parliament of the disputed Crimean Peninsula has voted in favor of leaving Ukraine to become part of Russia, with a referendum on endorsing the move to be held later this month.
The parliament, which enjoys a degree of autonomy under current Ukrainian law, voted 78-0 with eight abstentions in favor of holding the referendum and joining Russia. Local voters will also be given the choice of deciding to remain part of Ukraine, but with enhanced local powers.
In other developments:
- Russia’s foreign ministry is continuing a war of words with the State Department over a statement released Wednesday that dismissed President Vladimir Putin’s claims on Ukraine as “fiction,” saying that Washington is unable to accept a situation that is “developing not according to their templates.”
- A mission of observers from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) were stopped by unidentified men in military fatigues and were told that they cannot enter Crimea, Poland Defense Minister Tomasz Siemoniak said.
- Crimea’s vice premier has labeled Ukrainian forces as “occupiers” who must leave the region or surrender, according to Reuters.
- Ukraine’s interim government is declaring the referendum illegal, while opening a criminal investigation against Crimean Prime Minister Sergei Askyonov, Reuters reports.
- The White House is imposing visa restrictions on Russians and Crimeans who it says are “threatening the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine.”
Ukrainian foreign ministry official Yevhen Perebiynis described the referendum move as being a coordinated action between Crimea’s parliament and Russia’s, the Interfax news agency reports, according to Reuters.
Read more here: Original Post Here http://worldmediamonitoring.com/crimeas-parliament-votes-favor-leaving-ukraine-russia-referendum-scheduled/ by Gabriel Rosenberg Originally posted on http://worldmediamonitoring.com